Wednesday, January 12, 2011

ADVENTure 2.0

last year I went on a brand new ADVENTure, and many of you traveled with me via my monthly posts. that journey was a significant and meaningful one for me, and it turned out to be so much more than "pick a project, make it, and give it away."

I can't imagine not doing it this year, so off I go again! it would be such an added blessing to have you join me in this journey and create an ADVENTure of your own. so, consider yourself invited to ADVENTure 2011!
here's a rough sketch of the plan:
on the 25th of each month I'll be posting my ADVENTure happenings- completed projects, projects in progress, tips for success and encouragement for the journey. in that post will be Mr. Linky allowing you to link up your own ADVENTure post as we create together! there may even be a flickr group and a few pdfs in the works. :)

now...some of you may be thinking...
* "really? didn't I just pack away that holiday?"
* "where do I start?"
* "I really need to be closer to December and in full holiday mode to have inspiration."
* "I don't have anyone to create for."

all things I confess to have thought or heard when the idea first started to take shape, but I offer back to you my own answers...

* yes, we did just complete Christmas 2010, but let me encourage you that I'll be giving you tips for success and tools to use throughout the project. and...
* yes, you can find inspiration in january! I'm living proof! and...
* whether the gift is for a loved one, a favorite charity, or for you, we can always find someone to bless with a hand made gift.

so let's begin!

looking back at 2010, this is how I got started:
1. make a list
as part of my holiday planner, I use this gift list. I fill in the names of all of our family and friends we'll be giving a gift to.

2. take. time. to. think.
the most appreciated and used gifts are those specific to your recipient. something just for them! so, this step is really important and won't be completed in one sitting.

when choosing those to give handmade items to, you might start with questions like: what do they like to do? what is their favorite color? what is their favorite season? what do you make that they already love? what would you love to make for them?

I use the "gift idea" column to jot down any ideas left over from last year and not used or ones I thought of after Christmas that would be just right for them. as you make your way through the year, you'll add items under the "gift ideas" or "final gift" columns (whether handmade or store purchased). I visit my gift list over and over again throughout the year.

3. monthly map
I then took my "to create for" list, chose my first projects, and mapped as many as I could out month by month. I knew that my santa project would be year long craft, so each month of the map had "santa" listed. I then would add projects to the map as I found just the right one.
4. just start
so now it's time to "just start!" whether that means creating a list, making gift tags or knitting a beautiful cowl, starting a journey is the only way to finish one. I found that consistent achievement fueled the momentum of finding the next inspiring project and completing it.

so off we go! as we begin I hope you'll embrace the journey and make it your own! I'm excited to see what the year will bring in both the project and personal growth arenas. and don't forget to stop back here january 25th to link up with me and your fellow travelers!
as you can see, I can't live without my Holiday Planner! you may or may not have some type of planner already in place. but for those of you interested...when you leave a comment by tuesday, january 18th at noon...you'll have a chance to receive your own Holiday Planner put together by me, for you! and for those of you who don't celebrate Christmas, how about a set of handmade cards if you win!!

22 comments:

From All Stitched Up said...

I love your holiday planner. I've been keeping gift list the last few years mainly I'm afraid of duplicating gifts or Christmas Eve menu's. If I don't win one I'm going to use some of your links to make a more offical notebook.I hope you include some ideas of making this all easier. I end every season in debt and tired. I look forward to your tips.

Larissa said...

i love your planner too - you are so perfectly organized. This year i made a quick list in november and threw it in my purse. i made a few gifts but most gifts were purchased during a marathon tjmaxx trip - and i crossed names off my crumpled up list as i ran through the aisles. I definitely have room for improvement! no promises, but i will try to make a gift each month - even if it's a little something for me.

Anonymous said...

I have already posted some days ago about your ADVENTure and how I will be joining you, along with my mom, husband, and sister, and EVEN my dad ! I think it's so adorable that they are all doing it ! This will be the first year of my holiday ADVENTure and I am more than excited !!! Your planner looks more than organized and such a lovely gift to begin YOUR adventure early to us :)

Debbolib said...

Thanks for the inspiration! This should help me keep on track all year. Isn't it a nice thing to spend all year thinking about your friends and relatives this way?

stitching under oaks said...

What a great ADVENTure you had...I'm coming along with you for this journey this year. Thanks girl...you're so inspiring! And I've even gotten one gift done for next year...he he. (it's little but it's done!)

jo ellen said...

OK...I'm in, in fact I have 3 ideas for you already and one for Mark; feel like I'm ahead of the game. Of course, with birthday looming 1 or 2 of the ideas for you might be gone.

Jessica Lynn said...

Ok this post is awesome! There's just no excuse not to try. You've outlined in wonderful detail how to go about this. I really find that the step by step process is the key to not being overwhelmed. Otherwise the task might seem too daunting to even pick a starting point. There've been stuffed animals I've wanted to make, embroidered book marks, crocheted coasters, etc... As gifts but always last minute ideas. I'm seriously taking baby steps in this direction. You rock! Love.
Xx

Gigi said...

Oh, count me in K! I'll do my best to keep up ;). Although, dingie old girl that I am, I left my Christmas planner (which is utterly pale compared to yours) at Jess's house when I was there - dur. Must put together another one asap. Thank you so much for the inspiration!
Warmest blessings,
GG

Emily Dale said...

What a fabulous idea/plan! I always hope to be organized for Christmas, but judging by the results, I need some help!

Emily

Anonymous said...

The whole planning ahead idea is SOOO right on! With 6 kids, I find myself really getting crazy as Christmas draws near. When they were all younger, I always had their gifts in layaway by Sept., but as years passed, I find myself being more and more unprepared. A lot of it is the fact that it is harder to come up with ideas for them as they get older. If I were to think and plan for ahead, it would help greatly! ~Jan

Unknown said...

Oh my...I love this idea! I would love a way to get ahead of the Christmas frenzy and enjoy and slow down the season. Thanks for sharing!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Wonderful post! I love the holiday planner idea. I have so many things I want to make this year (some for us and some to giveaway). i love all your ideas and encouragements!

Sally said...

I found you by way of Stitching Under Oaks, and whoo boy, am I glad I did! Reading her post, and yours, it all seems so simple! Like the FlyLady, it's about breaking it up into small pieces! It makes so much sense -- I hope to follow along!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You are such an inspiration! Count me in....I've already started my planning, but I'm nowhere near your level of organization -- just a bunch of ideas brewing in my mind. I need to get a couple of January birthdays squared away and I'm good!

bethany said...

You inspire me! I need all the organizational help I can get. I also plan to let go of any handmade projects I don't have completed by the beginning of December so that I can relax and enjoy the season with my family. Thank you!

Denise said...

I've already started gift knitting for 2011 and made a quick note on my computer of a few ideas I have, but I would love to have your planner too. I want to knit everyone something no matter how small this year, and if it is just small I plan on adding to it with other 'handmade' items that I will purchase from Etsy. No big store shopping for me this year except for my daughter (but she's getting knitted stuff too) ;)

Deanna said...

I think I am too late, but thought I would pop in anyway and say I am joining up. Just this past early December I decided the coming year was going to be different and I would plan and purchase or make throughout the year. So, thanks for the extra push.

a friend to knit with said...

so, THAT's how you do it.
you are such an inspiration to me.
and i SO know how you put thought and meaning into every gift. so that EVERY ONE gets that something special. something that is worn (or used) almost EVERY DAY. something that reminds them of you. each and EVERY TIME they wear it. :)
xoxoxo

Valula said...

What a cool idea!

Catherine said...

What a brilliant idea, my head is already buzzing with things I can make for my family and friends. As I'm a little new to knitty blogging I am a bit nervous of sharing my efforts but I shall certainly be watching

C X

Stephanie said...

You are one organized woman! I think I'm organized, but you've definitely got me beat :) This is a great idea to not overwhelm yourself at the holidays. I look forward to following along and seeing all the things you'll be making this year.

priest's wife - S.T./ Anne Boyd said...

I love this idea! I missed contributing on the 25th - bit I'll be back in Feb- I do have a short list of Christmas 2011 goals and steps in the side bar of my blog.