Sunday, January 24, 2010

remembering aimee

my cousin's roommate, aimee, was killed in car crash on thursday. she was a quarter mile from the elementary school where she taught. a young man came left of center and hit her car head on. she did not survive her injuries.

last year when I went down to visit Christy, I met aimee. she was a lovely young lady with a beautiful spirit. she had a smile on her face every time you saw her. saturday morning I awoke to the wonderful smell of her mother's granola recipe. aimee said she made this granola every weekend to eat during the week. it reminded her of her mother, who along with her dad lived overseas as missionaries. I came home with the recipe.

so this weekend, I've been thinking of aimee...her parents (who arrived after her death), her siblings, her friends, her students, and the people she touched...like me.
the recipe:
Granola by Aimee Powell
5 cups oats
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup wheat germ
2-3 tsp cinnamon
sprinkle of salt
2 tsp vanilla *
1/2 cup oil *
1/2 cup honey *

mix all ingredients together. heat * ingredients together in microwave for 1 minute. pour over mixture. pour into greased baking pan. bake at 350 for 30 minutes. stir after 15 minutes.

some might describe this as a sad story with a tragic ending, but the beautiful truth of salvation is that her story doesn't end. I know she's in heaven, and I look forward to seeing her again one day.

16 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Oh Kristyn that is so sad. I feel so badly for the whole community Aimee touched. The elementary school music teacher at my kids' school died tragically a few years back. It really shook everyone up here. How nice that you are remembering her and sharing a bit of her with all of us.

Tom said...

thank you ...
Love, Uncle Tom

Gigi said...

Oh, how sad. I'm so sorry. Your sweet post is a lovely tribute to her.
We lost a dear friend over the weekend. However, he lived a long full life (86 years), but even so, we are so very sad that this warm, kind, fun loving man is no longer here to brighten our world.
Blessings,
G

stitching under oaks said...

beautiful. isn't it amazing the impact one encounter with a person can have on your life? sobbering isn't it? this is a lovely tribute. i've been and will be keeping her family and friends in my prayers.

firstinitialp said...

thank you for remembering that experience, and adding this treasured recipe to our family menu. we cannot bring people back by way of memory, but in remembering, we honor who they were and how they lived. and in remembering aimee this way, you have also honored the One she lived for.

Rebekah said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend! A coworker of mine lost her sister in a tragic car accident last year and it was my first time experience death so closely. It's going to be a hard transition and I wish you the best as you support your friend.

Thank you for posting the granola recipe. As I make it, I will think of Aimee

Jessica Lynn said...

Hi Kristyn. I just came by to say thank you for commenting on my blog yesterday and then read this. I am so saddened by this. These sort of tragedies just always remind me of how uncertain everyday is. I know that as a fellow believer you will understand how this makes me always draw closer to the Lord. I am so glad that you have found comfort in her being in Heaven. What a comfort that truly is.

Thank you again so very much for your comment.

God Bless.

a friend to knit with said...

oh, kristyn. i am so sorry for you and all those who knew and loved aimee.
sharing aimee's granola recipe is so sweet. thank you.
i WILL make it... and pray for her family and friends. xx

Heather said...

Thank you for sharing this. It still is a heart break to hear of a young girls life being cut short, but I understnad your sentiments. Thank you for sharing this recipe, it is a wonderful way to share her story.

larissa said...

Kristyn, while it is so sad to hear that your friend's life ended so tragically it's also beautiful to read this tribute you wrote to her. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us in her honor. Once again, i am reminded just how precious each and every day is. Take care.

rosemary said...

such a touching post...
thanks for posting the recipe...i will definitely make it

Journeying Five said...

so sorry to hear of the news, your post is a really lovely tribute to what seems to be a remarkable woman!

Rebecca said...

Hope eternal.........and how that comforts us when someone passes away. I'm glad you understand that her life is only beginning.

stringsofpurls said...

I, too had a friend die last week. In fact I haven't wanted to remove her blog from mine yet- the Country Wife's Almanac... She was a believer and probably getting to meet Aimee right now. Blessings to you!

Suzanne said...

Kristyn, I popped over from Leslie's blog after her mention of the granola. Your post was a really special way to honor Aimee. Thank you for introducing me to her.

Alison said...

Yes, that IS the beautiful thing about salvation!
I love granola, will have to make this...
Take care, praying for you and you cousin and Aimee's family and friends. Sudden tragedies are the hardest tragedies.

Love in Christ-
ali