Wednesday, March 4, 2009

a creative pick me up

just a quick craft

what do you do with all the cards you receive in the mail all year long? they bring so much joy when you open them. yet most of them end up in the paper recycling bin. my latest quick project is jump rings for each of us to keep our cards/correspondence on. now we can recycle that joy all year long. it will always be there when we need a little pick me up.

I know this isn't an original idea. I'm sure I saw it somewhere, family fun magazine maybe? not sure I have many "original" ideas. so no need to ask permission, take it and expand on it yourself.

this simple idea got me thinking a lot about my crafts the past few days.

on monday night I stayed up after mark went to bed to finish watching a tivo'd oprah show. it focused on families in financial crisis who are now homeless. some living in shelters. some living in new "tent cities" popping up all across America. I felt sad. I felt mad. but most of all I felt thankful.

thankful for my husband and his job that provides for us. thankful that I can work part-time from home allowing flexibility along with income. thankful that I can still grocery shop based on most of our desires and not sale flyers. thankful that our home, while smaller than some and older than others, is quite adequate for our needs. thankful that I am still able to make and create many of our gifts and cards.

so for the next few months, I've challenged myself to make due, use it up, or do without. it's rather appropriate then that I'm in the process of purging and organizing my craft room. I've already repurposed grandpa robb's black desk for my new sewing table and my grandmother's needlepoint will be decorating the wall. I'll be using what I have to create new projects. most importantly-I'll be reigniting my excitement about projects I've purchased yarn for, but haven't yet made. some won't be timely. I may be making winter hats in april; I hope you won't mind.
it's a common theme that people all across America are simplifying. maybe that's the direction my projects are going. but hidden in the simple things can be an abundant joy. and this creative 'pick me up project' is an opportunity to recycle the encouragement, laughter, and love we've received all year long.

6 comments:

stitching under oaks said...

"hidden in the simple things can be an abundant joy" - so very wise. I think that's a great challenge. (If you use up what you have can you buy more?...just checkin'.) I hear what you're saying though, we do have so much to be thankful for. I know I've got plenty to keep me busy for months...but I do need to go out and buy some jump rings!! Brilliant...I'm sure it's an original idea of yours.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea! I have so many cards that I charish and want to do something special with, but don't know what. Thanks! We do have SO much to be thankful for! You know what? You are my hero. Thank you for the cards. Your homemade cards are so special. Ashley said, "oh, no she's tearing up again!" Love you, Kris

jo ellen said...

great idea to keep the excitement of receiving a card last for more than one day. getting on board with using up what we have...we'll clean out my craft cart when you come down in a few weeks!

mom

Journeying Five said...

i think it is so exciting to be able to use up and use it wisely...so nice to see things have a purposeful and beautiful use! have fun purging, i think there are a few of us who feel like that!

Unknown said...

I'm in the thankful camp too. My heart aches for those families who have been swallowed whole by this mess. I really hope the whole world learns to simplify and we get to go back to some good old fashioned values.

Anonymous said...

Hi~

Just found your blog. Lovely! I really like what you said and your plans for simplifying/ doing without. We're doing the same.

Thanks~
Marie in California