Monday, August 4, 2008

vacation knitting

vacation offered me the opportunity to finish several of my knitting projects. this picture shows my craft bag "locked and loaded" (as my dad would say before every road trip). it was wonderful to knit with my best friend lisa! do you get inspired by others as well? I think that's why quilting groups, knitting circles, and scrapbooking crops are so popular. we get and give inspiration to one another. what better way to share-you share a pattern, a friend knits that pattern, then shares the finished project with someone else. one big circle begins just from our ability to share and inspire. all the projects I finished at the beach will be given away to friends and family. I encourage you to share a project this month as well. we all have something to give.


Project #1 Walkabout Throw
the long awaited finish to my walkabout throw. this will be a Christmas gift for a special grma.


Pattern: Walkabout Throw found in Easy Afghans for Knitters
Yarn: Classic Worsted, Universal Yarn Inc., Color 9611
Needle: Size 8 Circular
Finished Size: 50"w x 27"h
Mods: size change and fringe omitted
Stitch Count: 41,400

while this ended up being an easy knit, this was a labor of love. it took me over 55 hours of knitting to finish this project. I had several frogs before the pattern was familiar and I achieved a consistent speed. the fun of the pattern texture all happens in just one row of knitting.

Project #2 Cotton Cowl

Pattern: Pashmina Cowl, Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Yarn: Lion Ease, Cotton Ease, Color-Lake

Needle: Size 5 Circular

I got the inspiration to knit this after seeing leslie's charmed cowl. how beautiful is that? easy knit-you just knit, knit, knit.... I did a swatch for the cotton ease yarn and cast on 104 stitches to make the pattern size of 20"x 13".


Project #3 Connor's Thorpe



Pattern: Thorpe by Kirsten Kapur found on Ravelry
Yarn: Cascade 220, Charcoal and Navy
Needle: Size 10 Circular

this is becoming a familiar phrase... when I saw leslie's ...I knew these would be great for all three of my guys. however, the casting on for the knitting from the top down, totally frustrated me! this project is finished in large part because of Lisa's skill! she started it and finished it (with the crocheted border). I left off the hanging cords as connor likes to put everything in his mouth; lisa and I thought it a good idea not to give him a temptation.


Project #4 Feather and Fan Dishcloth

Pattern: Feather and Fan Dishcloth by Linda Smith

Yarn: Sugar 'n Cream, green variegated

Needle: Size 7 Bamboo

lisa knit her cloth (purple & blue) on the trip down to south carolina. I loved it! I think it may be my favorite dishcloth I've knit yet! you'll notice a difference between her cloth and mine. my green cloth has ridges and hers is without. I followed the pattern on row 7 and knit, while Lisa did a mod and purled that row. love them both!! lucky me my craft bag had a stash of dishcloth yarn at the ready.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i lived vicariously through your's and lisa's projects this vacation. it was a joy to see you share the accomplishment and the joy of finishing them with your best friend! way to go sweetheart! that blanket has an amazing amount of stitches, but twice the love woven into it. it's is arguable which will keep the recipient warmer.

Anonymous said...

i lived vicariously through your's and lisa's projects this vacation. it was a joy to see you share the accomplishment and the joy of finishing them with your best friend! way to go sweetheart! that blanket has an amazing amount of stitches, but twice the amount of love woven into it. it's is arguable which will keep the recipient warmer.