Monday, April 19, 2010

it's a swap thing

I'm a new sewing student. I'm much more comfortable knitting, cross stitching, or making cards than starting a sewing project. but in an effort to stretch out of my comfort zone, improve my skills and have some fun, I joined lisa's napkin swap. my partner requested colors to match her olive green kitchen and burgundy adjoining room. knowing that I would never be able to match the olive green, I chose this fun cooking fabric for julie:
being the novice that I am and having a less than helpful joann's cutter, I purchased more fabric than I needed. so I ended up with eight adult napkins and four smaller sized for her kiddos. I enjoyed the process and hope their new owner enjoys using them at the dinner table.
packaged and ready for the mail...those life savers are just a little sweet treat for the kiddos.
and a bonus for me...my napkins arrived on Saturday just in time for dinner. thanks julie!!

9 comments:

stitching under oaks said...

ohhhh, such napkin goodness. Yours turned out wonderful. Doesn't it stink when you get less than helpful cutters!? Bad for you, but good for Julie eh? Thanks for joining in the fun and stretching those sewing skills...next up a bag swap! jk!

stringsofpurls said...

What a nice idea! I love to woman stretching themselves to learn something new!

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

This was such a fun swap, wasn't it?! What a great idea doing some smaller napkins for the kids too.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Love the napkins! I hate it when I get someone at the fabric store who won't/can't help me beyond rining me up....but it was nice for your recipient to get the extra napkins :)

Gloria said...

Those turned out adorable! I love the fabric you chose...love all those great words on them! The kids will appreciate you thinking of them too...:)
The napkins you received have some beautiful colors...enjoy!

Larissa said...

You go girl! 12 napkins in the cutest of fabrics is quite the feat. Sorry your cutter wasn't helpful and sold you all that fabric - the worst part is that you can't question what they say because all the people in line behind your start getting all restless and fidgety.

Rebekah said...

cute napkins! That's such a fun fabric. Good for you for stepping out of your crafting comfort zone, too :)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You always go the extra mile....What a thoughtful idea to send along Lifesavers too. I'm sure the kiddos appreciated that.

a friend to knit with said...

oh course you added something for the kiddos. you are the SWEETEST!
how fun!