Wednesday, February 10, 2010

meet martin

checking off my list.
spencer's sock monkey is complete! and I'm happy to share that he's already being well loved.
let me introduce martin the monkey:
Pattern: from Paton's Classic Wool, Monkey Business
Yarn: Paton's Classic Wool
Needles: size 5 dpn
the inspiration piece:

my childhood sock monkey, circa 1968. my grandmother made him for me. and as the story goes...my main past time as a child was to flush my sock monkey down the toilet, even still, he remains. and after I pulled him out of my hope chest last year, spencer made a special request- his own sock monkey. I was hesitant but encouraged by mark to knit it up for Christmas. I made the push, but just didn't finish. I think spencer would say he was worth the wait.

9 comments:

At Home Mommy Knits said...

So sweet! Isn't it gratifying when one of our little ones wants us to make them something? Too cute and adorable!

stringsofpurls said...

That is so cute! Thanks for sharing!

Meg said...

So cute!

Rebekah said...

so so cute!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

That's a nice tradition -- to have a sock monkey of your very own. Your poor monkey. It sounds like he went through the wringer many a time! Funny memories.

Gigi said...

Oh that monkey is so cute! I know your little must lurve him! And I love your old monkey's crazy/wild eyes ;-).
Blessings,
G

stitching under oaks said...

oh he turned out wonderful...I LOVE him. Better keep him away from your fancy eyed sock monkey...I think she was making eyes at him. You put such love into Martin...he is so great. And I love that yours survived all the flushings and that you have it as a momento from your childhood. Great stuff girl!

larissa said...

your did a great job! he is totally the boy version of your girl-y sock monkey. so cool that you made it possible for spencer to make his own sock monkey memories. and please share more about your hope chest - what other treasures do you have in there?

Heather said...

OK, that is just too cute! I love it. I am off to get that pattern