Wednesday, February 4, 2009

grandmother's needles

the end of my day and no 365 picture taken.
"maybe I'll just skip it today. no. take your time and find something meaningful," I thought. while mark put the boys to bed, I went to my craft room. remembering flylady's montra "you can do anything for 15 minutes" and the mission of decluttering this month, I had a plan.
as I began to clear spaces and put things away something became clear...as I looked around the floor and counter, all I could see were my grandmother's craft items- stacks of quilt squares yet to be put together, framed projects from her home that I choose to add to our home, lots of yarn, and lots of knitting needles. back in november when she died, I received all the 'craft items.' I was happy and thankful to take them as I wanted to be sure a family member inherited all those precious tools. but since then, I haven't been able to do anything with them. her memory too fresh.

tonight my latest clearance find-this large jar from target ($2.37 thank you very much) has found a purpose! It now holds my cherished collection of knitting and crocheting supplies from grandmother. May the projects I make with these needles be as well loved as hers always were.

and as leslie said, "like her hands are holding yours."

3 comments:

stitching under oaks said...

that's such a wonderful use for your jar. they look great in there! isn't it interesting the that the old packs of double points only came in packages of 4 instead of 5 like they do now? see our grandma's really did know how to do with less! :)

Savvy-Motherhood said...

I just found your blog... I am a knitter myself when I am not blogging my life here... sadly I don't know too many people personally that knits around me! I can't go to a knitters group in the community because i usually have a child attached to me. :)

I want to add you so I can see what all you are making! Do you throw or continental... curious.. I am a thrower... :)

jo ellen said...

Mom Mom would be so pleased to know that you have her needles and are putting them to good use...AND what a great use for that great looking jar.

Mom